Anthology. A man of his time. 2019-2021
Gerald O’Brien collected every scrap of work he considered worth saving from infancy onwards. I have scanned and photographed practically every object, illustration, text and photo from his collection.
The FIRST slip box with magazines deals with his private life, and is divided into two parts:
1) Eight of the magazines deal with a fictional world he created from infancy onwards, seemingly just for himself. Imaginary countries, wars between these countries, governments and armed forces of these countries; and boxes filled with cutouts of the imaginary people who were administrators and leaders of these imaginary countries.
This was created at a time when the politics of Europe was in flux. The Second World War had just begun when Gerald was only 15 years old.
This project was probably wound up sometime in the 1970’s.
Gerald was a very public man known and respected in his time, yet no one in his family or even his wife knew of this imaginary world. Why this world was created is a mystery.
The eight parts are as follows: ( click on red text to take you to Blurb books.)
-World events and world figures, 1940.
-Maps and lists of the administrations of the imaginary countries.
-A selection of illustrations of people ( armies and administrations ) … made in infancy, adolescence, and more sophisticated illustrations made as an adult.
-The complete- armies and administration, with information on the reverse of these illustrations.
-The army chiefs of all nations.
-History of The Wars 1941-42.
-The newspapers documenting The Wars.
2) Almost all of the content in the remaining magazines in the FIRST slip box is from Gerald’s own collection of objects and photos, and is from his point of view; except for the images I have made over a two and a half year period to document the house when it was unoccupied.
These magazines are as follows: ( click on red text to take you to Blurb books.)
-Death notices, eulogies
-Model cars, games ( from youth. )
-All photos of cars owned throughout the years.
-Culture ( concert programmes. )
-Box ( random objects. )
-Artistic impulses ( drawings, paintings and photographs from infancy onwards )
-Pets ( dog and cats. )
-Gerald and Fausta.
-Friends in youth.
-Interior and exterior of home, ( including social occasions )
-Books in bookcases, from number 459 .
-Images by Lucien Rizos of the unoccupied house,
-Books and favoured objects at Rita Angus Retirement home room 302.
-Small photo collection.
-Photo album 1
The SECOND slip box deals with his public life in politics, causes, and business affairs.
( This slip box is a work in progress. )
-His own album ( travels and political meetings )
-His own album 2 ( travels and political meetings )
-Japan 5. Plus New Zealand delegations.
-Japan 6. Plus New zealand delegations.
-Bits and pieces
-Gerald in representation.
- S I S Amendment Bill, thoughts
-W B Sutch Assignment programme, 2000
- Kirk Think Tank
- The Plot
- The Fight for Island Bay
- Peace Flame
- Speeches. Peace Council of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Former Members of Parliament
-Peace Council of Aotearoa New Zealand
-Early years in Politics. Member of Parliament, general.
-Letters To The Editor
The magazines act as slivers of content looking into a life over time; a wide range of different aspects, subjects, interests , and pursuits.
…this is an ongoing project.
Lucien Rizos 2020